forums | blogs | polls | tutorials | downloads | rules | help

i've been doing fine and keeping safe from covid

hi all!

its been a long time since i posted on here or touched the ds series. the covid-19 pandemic has certainly changed the world and our lives as well just like what happened to aranna in the ds video games. lol! it certainly feels weird to experience what happened in a video game also happen in real life as well, isnt it?

so that was my coping mechanism to deal with the stress and pressure of the pandemic. so for those of u who care about me, i just wanna let u know that i've been keeping myself safe from catching covid and i've been doing well so far. i have read some medical research articles on the internet that say catching sars and mers can lower your life expectancy by a few years or several years and i guess its the same for covid, so prevention is still better than cure.

singapore has been one of the few countries to contain covid well. we've had zero community cases for several days in a row continuously and with a vaccine coming, it looks like its going to be back to business as usual.

i hope those of u elsewhere have been keeping yourselves safe as well especially those of u in the US. please do post back here to let me know how u have been doing and if u have ever caught covid, what was it like? i'd like to know. keke...

since this is the time of the year to catchup with old friends, i just thought i'd post this blog message here to let those who care know that im doing okay. season's greetings to all at siegetheday and merry christmas!

blogs: 

Comments

It has been a long time my friend. I am glad to know you are safe and have not contracted Covid. I for one am doing fine even though I live in California. I have been following the rules, wearing a mask, keeping a social distance from those I do not live with. Washing my hands all the time. No one in my household has contracted Covid. The vaccine may be available to the regular people like me sometime in a month or two. Be Safe and Merry Christmas Lady Femme.
Elf

hi Femme!

glad to see you are still alive!

as for covid... they test here.. but i am not one to get tested...they have recently started vaccinating military and nurses here. We have a mask mandate here so been wearing a mask since like July. However i think i may have had the symptoms of covid a few times... right now i have a lack of smell, i cough sometimes but its not like a hack and sometimes have fever, during summer i had lack of breath, while mowing it was hard to keep up....i lost my mom in 2018 so i live alone so there is no one to pass to virus too in this home. They have been working all year here, there was some work stoppage for like movie theatres and restaurantes but the food stores were open all year.

i actually started playing ds again when i saw the new map on this site and been testing some of the other mods...

i pretty much play Swtor and Hearthstone now days.. i gave up wow, a few years back but sometimes play it. and thats pretty much all the games i play now days.

Merry Christmas Femme!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. This has been one very weird and not great year and I am actually looking forward to 2021. It would be nice to have things somewhat back to normal. I feel really sad about a lot of the small businesses in my community. I just don't know how they will manage to keep themselves afloat.

It's pretty snowy here in Massachusetts. Everything looks nice and festive with so many people decorating their homes w/ holiday lights. Stay safe and have a lovely holiday.

Hello Lady Femme! I'm glad you've been staying safe from Covid. I'm new to the community here, but I've just gotten back into DS2 and have been amazed at all your wonderful bugfixes. It seems like you started doing GPG's job when it wouldn't (or couldn't) continue to support Broken World.

Quick question: I know you've retired from DS modding, but do you remember off the top of your head how you turned off the green "You have maximized this spell's power" tooltip for spells that combat and nature mages aren't able to learn yet? I've been breaking into all of your scripts from the spells mod and comparing them to the default scripts, but I don't see anything in there that corresponds to that. So maybe it's something I just haven't thought of. Tongue If you happen to remember anything about which file you edited to do that, I'm sure I could re-create it myself easily for my personal frankenmod. Not needed by any means though.

I hope you have a great Christmas!

I'm still alive in the US. I've been working on restful APIs with nodejs lately. I created a prototype for placing random objects in map data with python, but I still need to work some things out. I'll probably redo it in c#/.net.

Darkelf wrote:
However i think i may have had the symptoms of covid a few times... right now i have a lack of smell, i cough sometimes but its not like a hack and sometimes have fever, during summer i had lack of breath, while mowing it was hard to keep up....

from your description of your symptoms, i think u caught covid. covid causes a complete loss of taste and smell and its quite distinct. however, the symptom of complete loss of taste and smell typically indicates minor/mild covid so u're not in any danger of being the unlucky 2-3% who die from covid.

however, the bad news is that having mild/minor covid doesnt preclude the possibility of having long covid. long covid is when u still feel sick, tired and lethargic for months after getting covid even though the infection is gone or has passed. nothing much u can do about it except to just try to stay healthy, eat healthy, do some light exercise and take some herbal medicine to nourish/repair/heal the body. thats my nature mage diagnosis and prescription about the health problems u've been having lately! hehe! Big smile

u can read more about the symptoms of long covid on wikipedia.

and sorry about your mom. may she rest in peace. at least she didnt have to go through the trauma and pain of living through these covid times. covid has been completely mean and nasty to the elderly.

Lampdragon88 wrote:

Quick question: I know you've retired from DS modding, but do you remember off the top of your head how you turned off the green "You have maximized this spell's power" tooltip for spells that combat and nature mages aren't able to learn yet? I've been breaking into all of your scripts from the spells mod and comparing them to the default scripts, but I don't see anything in there that corresponds to that. So maybe it's something I just haven't thought of. Tongue If you happen to remember anything about which file you edited to do that, I'm sure I could re-create it myself easily for my personal frankenmod. Not needed by any means though.


thanks for your compliments about my modding! Smile i appreciate it! however, the way i did it is just a cheap hack. i just doubled the intelligence limits that the spells max out at so u just dont see the message anymore.
Lady Femme wrote:

#15. if you play a single-class combat or nature mage, you should no longer see "you have maximised this spell's power" before you even meet the requirements for using the spell.

#38. doubled the intelligence cap for the lesser, normal and greater line of spells. buff spells, curses, blood assassin and fist of stone related spells remain unchanged.

so maybe i should have stated up front that bugfix point #15 and #38 in my mod were related to each other.

Dulac wrote:

I'm still alive in the US. I've been working on restful APIs with nodejs lately. I created a prototype for placing random objects in map data with python, but I still need to work some things out. I'll probably redo it in c#/.net.


errr wow, havent seen or spoken to u in a while and it looks like u completely geeked out, programming wise on me. hahaha! Big smile ah~ dont mind me cracking a joke about you! Tongue

Lady Femme wrote:

errr wow, havent seen or spoken to u in a while and it looks like u completely geeked out, programming wise on me. hahaha! Big smile ah~ dont mind me cracking a joke about you! Tongue

I sure have. Send me a message if you want to keep in touch on social media. I use Discord and FB for the most part. I've been itching to play ds2 again.

Dulac wrote:
Send me a message if you want to keep in touch on social media.

no thanks. im not fond of social media.
Dulac wrote:
I've been itching to play ds2 again.

lol that boring in lockdown huh? Big smile i dont remember if we played the broken world map together before. i only remember playing the broken world map with darkelf. but looking back at the chars i used to play with u, it seems i have completed the bw map before with those chars i played with u, so it seems we have played the bw map before. that was quite a while ago and my memory is really fuzzy.

anyway, if im gonna play ds again, i'd better get back to modding as well. i like to multitask while playing, so testing mod fixes while playing is what i like to do.

i remember lots of stuff on my todo list for ds2 modding. for example, i need to fix that get highest visible aggro function which killer gremal said is bugged and i mentioned could be what is causing the auto engage to not work with a summoned creature.

im also gonna need to see how to host a game of ds2 with a virtual lan client over the internet since gamespy is a goner.

Lady Femme wrote:

Dulac wrote:Send me a message if you want to keep in touch on social media.

no thanks. im not fond of social media.

Dulac wrote:I've been itching to play ds2 again.

lol that boring in lockdown huh? Big smile i dont remember if we played the broken world map together before. i only remember playing the broken world map with darkelf. but looking back at the chars i used to play with u, it seems i have completed the bw map before with those chars i played with u, so it seems we have played the bw map before. that was quite a while ago and my memory is really fuzzy.

anyway, if im gonna play ds again, i'd better get back to modding as well. i like to multitask while playing, so testing mod fixes while playing is what i like to do.

i remember lots of stuff on my todo list for ds2 modding. for example, i need to fix that get highest visible aggro function which killer gremal said is bugged and i mentioned could be what is causing the auto engage to not work with a summoned creature.

im also gonna need to see how to host a game of ds2 with a virtual lan client over the internet since gamespy is a goner.

There might be some 3rd party software for MP. We never locked down here, but I try to avoid people at all costs. It's amazing you still have the old characters! I've been wanting to add new uniques to ds2/bw if I play again.

Dulac wrote:

There might be some 3rd party software for MP.


yea, gonna try out gameranger and tunngle to see if they play well and nice with mods and ds2bw allsaves which i use for playing.
Dulac wrote:

We never locked down here.


yes but u can also always do a self-imposed lockdown to keep yourself safe. kinda like a hermit, right? lol! Big smile
Dulac wrote:

I try to avoid people at all costs.


lol we're getting pretty anti-social there with the covid prevention measures now, are we? hehe! Big smile
Dulac wrote:

It's amazing you still have the old characters!


yea! u better have the old chars we played together too! or else i might just leave u out! lol! because i might be playing veteran to test out my mods. never tested out my bw monsters and spells improved fixed mods in vet and elite. heard there were some complaints about it... lol... wanna test it out myself if its just whiners and nubs or if its really too hard! hehe...

so u better have the old chars we played with backed up *somewhere* and i dont care where lol! or im leaving u out like i said! Big smile

Dulac wrote:

I've been wanting to add new uniques to ds2/bw if I play again.


yea, u can add your mods to our playtesting while i play and debug my own mods too, so its killing three birds with one stone! wonderful multi-tasking, me thinks! hooray! Big smile

last time i played online mp used a program called hamachi https://www.vpn.net/

not sure if it still works or is worth trying...but thought i throw it out there.

ds2 and broken world are still things to mod... i am more on the art side now of things dont tweak files much....although kinda like to modify the mimic again...code code code.

Lady Femme wrote:

Dulac wrote:

There might be some 3rd party software for MP.



yea, gonna try out gameranger and tunngle to see if they play well and nice with mods and ds2bw allsaves which i use for playing.

Dulac wrote:

We never locked down here.



yes but u can also always do a self-imposed lockdown to keep yourself safe. kinda like a hermit, right? lol! Big smile

Dulac wrote:

I try to avoid people at all costs.



lol we're getting pretty anti-social there with the covid prevention measures now, are we? hehe! Big smile

Dulac wrote:

It's amazing you still have the old characters!



yea! u better have the old chars we played together too! or else i might just leave u out! lol! because i might be playing veteran to test out my mods. never tested out my bw monsters and spells improved fixed mods in vet and elite. heard there were some complaints about it... lol... wanna test it out myself if its just whiners and nubs or if its really too hard! hehe...

so u better have the old chars we played with backed up *somewhere* and i dont care where lol! or im leaving u out like i said! Big smile
Dulac wrote:

I've been wanting to add new uniques to ds2/bw if I play again.


yea, u can add your mods to our playtesting while i play and debug my own mods too, so its killing three birds with one stone! wonderful multi-tasking, me thinks! hooray! Big smile

Yeah, I heard game ranger might work. I've been a hermit and in a self-imposed lockdown for sure. We had over 280k cases and over 4k deaths yesterday. I stopped going to the grocery store during the Thanksgiving surge, lol. I just order online now. I don't have any of my old characters. I have a level 6 character when I was checking if I could get DS2 BW to run on my machine. I could use my exp mod though. Funny fact, I've never beat the game twice.

Darkelf wrote:

last time i played online mp used a program called hamachi https://www.vpn.net/

not sure if it still works or is worth trying...but thought i throw it out there.

ds2 and broken world are still things to mod... i am more on the art side now of things dont tweak files much....although kinda like to modify the mimic again...code code code.

Think you would be interested in doing another map redux? I've been thinking about making more levels.

Dulac wrote:

Think you would be interested in doing another map redux? I've been thinking about making more levels.

what do you mean by map redux, Dulac?