forums | blogs | polls | tutorials | downloads | rules | help

NIS Player

LoneKnight's picture

A member working on Derelict came to me with an idea, and I had no idea of who to ask about it. It's an awesome idea, one that would be a very useful.

The idea was: After each NIS, the NIS is saved. When you open the In-Game menu, a new option "PlayBack Scenes" is available. When you open it, a list of NIS' appears. Each one is named specifically by the developer, like "Forest Ambush", for example. You select it, and the game pauses, and plays the NIS. If you hit escape, the NIS ends, and you go back to the game. The same thing happens when the NIS is over.

Note that I know that because they are live action movies, NIS' can only be played back after it's been recorded. So, when you reach a new NIS in the game, that NIS is added to the list.

I am wondering if this is even possible, and maybe if someone is willing to help me work on it, granted it is possible. This would make a big impact on storyline driven siegelets like Lands of Hyperborea, and *cough* Derelict. If you walk away from the computer, or accidently hit escape, or miss a line, you can always play it again.

What are your thoughts?

LoneKnight wrote:
A member working on Derelict came to me with an idea, and I had no idea of who to ask about it. It's an awesome idea, one that would be a very useful.

The idea was: After each NIS, the NIS is saved. When you open the In-Game menu, a new option "PlayBack Scenes" is available. When you open it, a list of NIS' appears. Each one is named specifically by the developer, like "Forest Ambush", for example. You select it, and the game pauses, and plays the NIS. If you hit escape, the NIS ends, and you go back to the game. The same thing happens when the NIS is over.

Note that I know that because they are live action movies, NIS' can only be played back after it's been recorded. So, when you reach a new NIS in the game, that NIS is added to the list.

I am wondering if this is even possible, and maybe if someone is willing to help me work on it, granted it is possible. This would make a big impact on storyline driven siegelets like Lands of Hyperborea, and *cough* Derelict. If you walk away from the computer, or accidently hit escape, or miss a line, you can always play it again.

What are your thoughts?

You would have to record the nis while it's playing because camera commands are deleted after they are completed.

ugh, that's me above, "Log me in automatically upon revist' button doesn't work for me here and I keep forgetting that.

sol77's picture

Shocked wrote:
ugh, that's me above, "Log me in automatically upon revist' button doesn't work for me here and I keep forgetting that.

Try adding siegetheday.org and std.seijsing.se to your browser's secure sites.

sol77 wrote:
Shocked wrote:
ugh, that's me above, "Log me in automatically upon revist' button doesn't work for me here and I keep forgetting that.

Try adding siegetheday.org and std.seijsing.se to your browser's secure sites.
it actually started working the last time i logged in. weird

as far as dungeon siege 1 this is how it goes:

you won't be able to repeat all the nis sequences because all the actors would have to go back to the original spot where the nis was "filmed"
so if you "filmed" the nis in town 1, but then tried to replay it in town 2 you would have to move all the required actors from town 2 to town 1 and then act the nis out again ... and this isn't considering what shocked said about nis commands being deleted afterwards

so the only way to realistically do this would have been to pre-record movies in dungeon siege formats (bik?) and then play them ... but that assumed dungeon siege 1 can play movies ... which if i recall correctly, it cannot while in game (though dungeon siege 2 can i believe) ...
so chances are this isn't gonna happen, sorry :\

Lurker's picture

have you thought about adding (auto) save points just before the NIS?

LoneKnight's picture

That's just what we ended up doing.

Templarian Arch Sorcerer's picture

Couldn't you just make a complex skrit that teleports you to the NIS area, does it over, resets, and then puts you back?

LoneKnight's picture

Yeah, we've already considered that, but you can't just 'reset' everything. You need to respawn monsters who have specific orders as well as the armor issue would arise when you 'teleport'. It'll be easier with a auto_save. If you missed the NIS, just reload the save.